Good Afternoon AIS Parents and Students,
First, I want to say Welcome Back to ALL of our Parents and Students! I trust that your families are well, and that you had a safe and restful summer break.
We are just one week away from the start of classes. We have been busy these past few weeks preparing for our new and returning students. There have been many positive and exciting facilities changes that I am sure you will notice immediately on your return. New staff have been here two weeks getting accustomed to the AIS expectations and curriculum, as well as becoming familiar with Kuwait.
To keep you updated High school students will be receiving their timetables on Tuesday, 5 September. We have been refining classes and taking care of any conflicts this week. Final schedules will be sent via email.
I would like to tell you of the exceptional results achieved by our Seniors on IB world exams. We had very good results achieving above World IB School averages on most measures. I will share more information and results as we begin our year. As well, locally, we were voted the Best International School in Kuwait by MEA Kuwait Enterprise Awards! (please visit http://www.meamarkets.com/ where you can view our winners supplement and the full winners list)
I also want to inform you of a couple of very important changes to school procedures this year. First is our Cell Phone use policy.
- On April 19, 2017, The Ministry of Education, Public Administration for Private Education, recommended a ban on students bringing their mobile phones to school. While we understand that students will still have their cell phone with them for communication and safety reasons, we intend to honor the expectations of the Ministry recommendation.
As a result, cell phone and technology use will be by invitation only at AIS.
- Students are ONLY invited to use cell phones in the canteen during lunch. At all other times students must have phones put away in bags or backpacks when they enter the school. Cell phones are not to visible while at school.
- Cell phone use when not invited, or outside of the canteen area during lunch, will result in confiscation of the phone. Phones will only be returned at the end of the day.
- Students, at the invitation of their teacher, may be invited to use technology or phones in classrooms, only if it enhances the learning occurring in class.
- Cell phones may not be used as an internet hotspot.
2. Second is a small change to the uniform policy. We have returned to only allowing the school uniforms (Sports or teams sweaters and shirts are not permitted). Students must adhere to school dress policy on all regular school days.
- Students will be required to wear appropriate school clothing. This includes bottoms and tops (polos, blouses, vests, zip jackets and hoodie pullovers).
- An AIS collared shirt must be worn under jackets and sweaters.
- Proper footwear is required at school
- Clothing should be loose fitting and comfortable. Jeans are not permitted.
We look forward to next week!
The first day of classes will be Wednesday September 6th, following EID Al Adha.
The high school recognizes the vital role parents play in the development and education of their children and in the success of the school generally. We look forward to working with you throughout this year. We continue to make communication a priority and we hope that all parents will stay in contact throughout the year by visiting and signing up for our ‘Final Four’ blog -https://aisfinalfour.wordpress.com/ . Together we can make a difference!
Please drop by our school uniform store prior to the first day of school if you have any uniform needs.
Steve Thompson Mike McMillan
Principal Assistant Principal